Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #11114 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Is the following gif from this movie ? It looks like it might, I've been looking for its origins for a while.
Moderator cut: image removed
Yeah it is Ironclad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
To me, Ironclad was very mediocre. It was entertaining, but not very much so and in the end, I felt there wasn't really much about it that was memorable. Paul Giamatti as King John was awful, but James Purefoy was good as the lead character. Overall, I think I actually preferred Solomon Kane (which he also stars in) for entertainment value.
I hated Solomon Kane! It felt very forced to me. I understand where you are coming from regarding Ironclad and alluded to it regarding it's script but I really appreciated the filmmakers attempts to make the film as realistic as possible and not resort to pretty picture blockbuster leads and scenery etc.

Giamatti was a very odd choice in one respect for King John but his speech in front of Brian Cox just before 'THAT' scene was superb.

Oh frustration time again There is a superb movie here dying to break free from the filmmaker's indecision as to what sort of film it is. Is it a black comedy, a satire or a serious drama with commentary on big business's? The film's second half certainly suggest serious drama and there was some really good scenes both thematically and visually but the films first half relied too much on wanting to look, feel and sound hip.

The film could have easily worked on any level but certainly not a mish mash of all three, the director just doesn't have the chops for it.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote