Music Banter - View Single Post - What's your favorite clothing brand?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #98 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I don't understand why people pay top dollar for otherwise normal T-Shirts or Hoodies emblazoned with a logo of a particular brand. Is it a form of conspicuous consumption relevant only to a particular subculture?

So, ok, you like Carhartt; but what is the point of buying a sweatshirt that says, "Carhartt"? The entire point of Carhartt is the clothes are durable and utilitarian; yet, somehow, this seems to have been transformed into a prestige brand of such magnitude people will pay top dollar for a sweatshirt simply because it says... "Carhartt".
Or maybe they're paying top dollar because they want something that's durable and won't have to be replaced in six months time. Besides that, there's only a handful of articles from Carhartt that seem to really go out of their way to advertise the brand, in most cases it's just that 1 1/2"x1 1/2" square that's off to the side of the clothing, or a little 1/2" strip of leather as in some of the newer articles. People would totally know I was wearing Carhartt if they saw in me this from afar.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you to some regards about people overpaying for under performing clothing, but I'm a little bewildered why you'd use Carhartt as an example when I think it's probably one of the best quality brands on the market place. I even like how they're starting to expand out and be thought of as an "everyday" brand of clothing than just a working brand. It's not like we're ever going to see an Ed Hardy style shirt carrying the Carhartt brand name.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote