Music Banter - View Single Post - "What do you listen to?"
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
"He listens to punk."
Haha, now I'm curious how others would describe my music taste.

For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I feel like intimidating people, so I just name whoever I'm listening to a lot at the time. Usually, they have never heard of them. In this situation, people can sometimes impress me and we can actually have a good conversation.

If I'm already sure they won't know wtf I'm talking about, I'll just say "I'm an audiophile so...a lot. But my favorite band is the Smashing Pumpkins". Or if I'm really not interested that gets shortened to " I like the Smashing Pumpkins."

Other times I'll try to gage what I'm up against and throw it back on them..."Before I answer, what do YOU listen to?" I then continue from there. If the response is..."Mostly rock. I like Incubus a lot." I know things won't get much more interesting.

If my iPod is handy, I'll throw that at them. After a few seconds of scrolling, I see a change in their face and they hand it back. I get a few different responses..."You listen to a lot of music...", "I haven't heard of any of this", or the nonchalant, "That's cool...".