Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #123 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'm not into deep analysis of music. My reviews are, or try to be, more than just "ooh what a guitar solo" or "this guy can really play the keys", but I don't delve heavily into the raison d'etre of a band or what their music is symbolic of. I prefer to look at it on a much simpler level. As I think I've stated before, where someone will sneer at band B for being a carbon copy of band A, as long as I like band A and band B sound as good, I really don't care. Most of the time. In fact, once I find a band I like it's gratifying to find another who sound like them: double the pleasure for me. Parodies, or bad copycats, however, are another matter altogether.
I'd agree with a lot of that. It's good to look at the music simply as music. Talking in general about music I don't mind going beyond that, but if it's about a specific piece it's a bit presumptuous to read lots of things into it when we didn't even write it ourselves. I suppose we all to some degree though try to identify with music we like, normally on some emotional rather than intellectual level. Some take this a step further though and worship everything by an artist which I can find annoying trait.