Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Wars!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #930 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I've actually listened to all 12 mins of Gridlock and what can I say, its 12 mins of brutal energy. As for how it matches up against Mumakil well that's a difficult call. One band has the normal album length as opposed to the super short 12 mins. Music wise nothing between them really, so it comes down to other features. The Mumakil album cover is special for me, the LOTR inspired cover and the Mumakil with the Southron hordes is very unique, as is the album title "Behold the Failure", which is like a big homage to the defeat of Sauron's armies in the "Battle of the Ring" I know we're talking music here, but things like album covers can sway votes and Mumakil has done that with me.
Heh. It's funny that that's what you hone in on. But since you brought up imagery: To me a metal band referencing LOTR doesn't seem particularly unique. On the other hand, Gridlink's high-tech looking Chinese demon imagery (a motif continued on their second album below) is very unique, both for grindcore and for metal as a whole.

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote