Music Banter - View Single Post - Give Us Your Tips: Being in a Band
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Piotr_13
Groupie

Remember everyone may have a slightly different idea. Don't be afraid to brainstorm and work out things. When I was first starting the drums, I couldn't play odd time very well. My brain wouldn't process it. Our guitarist came up with a riff in some off-the-wall 4/8 or something timing. I was stumped. Him and I worked together, and in time (lol) we figured out a compromise.

Don't rush each other. If someone is having trouble coming up with an idea, don't force them. It will only make things sound crappier.

Practice your instrument and never forget the fundamentals. Guitarists and bassists should work on their scales, and modes, (or finger exercises if you're retarded when it comes to theory like me) to keep sharp. Drummers, your rudiments and your click-track-precision. Singers, do scales or scream into a pillow depending on what music you do.

If someone is playing an instrument to show off (you'll know them if you see them) then they should not be in your band. They are toxic.

Last edited by Piotr_13; 02-16-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Guitarists write riffs, not beats. I'm retarded.
Piotr_13 is offline   Reply With Quote