Music Banter - View Single Post - Fashion Police Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Not exactly. I like to wear nice clothes for me, because I like to look good. It's the same reason I wear fragrances. A lot of people who get into fragrances, especially guys, do it so that girls and other people will comment on them and so on. They're not really into them, they do it for the attention. Chances are they probably only wear them on dates and to clubs with the guys, routinely wearing too much and forcing everyone around to wallow in their large gaseous cloud. I, and people who are truly into fragrances, do it for themselves. I could easily wear something time tested and crowd friendly, like Acqua di Gio, something from Hugo Boss, or Curve. I don't. I'm sure many people my age probably think I smell old, but I'm okay with that. If people who wore nice clothing did it for other people, they'd be wasting a lot of time and effort. There's also the people who have a bizarre sense of fashion and probably get laughed at by the average person. They certainly aren't doing it to just look good. I'm sure there are some people that do that, absolutely, but I think people who truly care about their appearance, clothing, etc. still do even when nobody is looking.

EDIT: For anyone interested, here's a lunch of 25 impeccably dressed men (all covered by The Sartorialist). You may recognize a few faces.
They let that ass-hat Kanye West join them? I can't speak for the others, but anyone rubbing shoulders with Kanye gets pegged as questionable in my book. That's just me, hating Kanye West... hoping he dies immediately.

I respect your ideas of dress. I used to wear fragrances in high school, but I didn't feel any different, and I didn't get any reactions from women or anyone actually. I view fragrances as an unnecessary expense. It they were free, I might wear a smell I liked. But they're not, and I don't prefer any fragrance in particular. I don't mind those that do, because due to smoking, I can't smell worth a damn anyway so it's all lost on me. If I can smell it, they're probably wearing WAY too much

I'm also the type to loathe dressing up. When I was young and had to wear my "Sunday best" to church, I began despising dressing up. I was so glad my mom decided church wasn't woo-ing me and that she didn't want to go either, and that was that. I've only dressed up real nice about one or two times since I was 10 years old. A couple years ago my parents took me on a cruise with them and for a formal dinner I donned a grey turtleneck cotton shirt and black slacks. I looked 'good', but I didn't really like it and I was very happy to change into shorts and t-shirt again when that was over with. There were formal dinners about every night, but I opted to go to the buffet the rest of the time.

On your last note about folks that dress up strangely. I think it's fantastic. I've never worn anything to stand out, but I think it's nice to see someone breaking the mold and dressed up in a bunny suit with a mohawk or something else outlandish. The majority that dress outlandishly might do it for attention, but I do think at least some do it just because that's who they feel they are - some might be doing it for themselves after all.

I think suit and tie is the devil. I think ties should be not only considered bad fashion, but banned from the world. Except MAYBE bowties - because "bowties are cool" - The Doctor

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote