Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #905 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Horse of a different colour --- The Revenants --- 1993 (Hunter S)

The greatest Irish band that never was, that was the Stars of Heaven (who?) and the Revenants were an offshoot of them, when they split, with singer and guitarist, and focus of the Stars, Stephen Ryan, forming the band. "Horse of a different colour" was their first of two full albums, and it's a little gem.

Full of the sort of country/indie rock that made the Stars' "Speak slowly" album so infectious, and one of my favourite Irish albums, "Horse" kicks off with two good pieces of advice: "Let's get falling down" and "Marry money". Can't fault yiz there lads! Great guitar work, excellent organ and a real Western-sounding voice on Ryan that wouldn't be out of place in Nashville.

Whether it's the pure, joyous energy of "Ted's tune", or the melancholy "Speak slowly" , Eileen Gogan's guest vocal on "William Byrd" or the exuberant, irreverent "The drinking side of me", or indeed the tender, ethereal closing instrumental, “Forbidden mourning”, the Revenants deliver on all counts.

The Stars of Heaven have gone out, and like their mythical counterparts, The Revenants' music haunts the lonely corners of Ireland, waiting in the bargain bins, crying out to be heard. Is no-one listening?

TRACKLISTING

1. Let's get falling down
2. Marry money
3. Ted's tune
4. You for whom silence
5. Sympathy
6. William Byrd
7. The drinking side of me
8. Capercayle
9. Xmas card
10. Speak slowly
11. Doctor said