Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #11155 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

^ I've attempted to start Hunger, but can never get past the past few minutes. But you seem to have good enough taste, jackhammer, so I'll give it another go. Can't hurt to have another art house movie under my belt.

As per my recent film watching, first I watched this

Moderator cut: image removed
Gaspar Noe's Irreversible
I saw this after seeing Noe's (more approachable) Enter the Void, and I have to say that Irreversible is breathtakingly poignant. It holds some of the most brutal and depraved imagery that I have seen in my film-viewing day, only really topped by A Serbian Film. At times I had to turn away from the screen, it was so hard to watch. Noe's middle finger to morality of a plot is wrapped in a brilliant package of beautiful cinematography to counteract the unspeakable actions depicted within the film. With this movie, I was in the same boat that I was in when I first watched Salo or 120 Days of Sodom, where I could not find any way to draw joy from the plot or content of the plot, yet the artistic value of the cinematography and other attributes to the film are impossible to dislike. Overall, this film will definitely be sticking with me for some time.

The next film that I watched was a documentary:
Moderator cut: image removed
Jandek on Corwood

This is probably the best documentary that I've seen. In between the interviews, there were passages of voluptuous imagery set to the tune of Jandek's solo acoustic pieces. The entire film held me captivated from start to finish, and what better person to do a documentary than the enigmatic and (at that time) mysterious avant-garde musical figure? Other than the fact that Jandek's stream of tours has tainted a few sections of the interviews and opinions of the interviewees, this film is predominately impeccable.

Last edited by Frownland; 02-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote