Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Wars!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #954 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

The next lucky dip draw had drawn a name from the list of 16 who hasn't been on the site since December, so I decided to move on and draw another name and out came Jackhammer.

Genre Splicing Metal (Jackhammer)

Jackhammer says: There have been many instances of Metal bands incorporating different genres into their music but somehow it was still safe but bands come along and truly meld different genres and are adept at all the genres they present and that is the key. It's easy to throw in a saxophone solo or have an ambient 3 minute breakdown but to really stretch yourself musically and thematically is a very intriguing process to me

Unknown Soldier says: Metal bands mixng in new ideas whether they be prog metal bands, technical death metal or Nu-metal bands are nothing new, but I agree with Jack, a lot of the bands seemed to do it without really mastering the concept. Here are 4 albums that a lot of you won't be familiar with and based on Jack's taste should be worth the listen. Jack has also included a brief summary of each album which I'll put up when the albums come up.

The Albums Selected
Mordred - In This Life 1991
Naked City - S.T 1989
Maudlin Of The Well - Leaving Your Body Map 2001
Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium 1987

What Jack says about these two albums:

Mordred's sound is a lot more traditional in a sense but their use of a sixth member on turntables was revolutionary at the time and they just don't get any credit for expanding their sound. This was 1991 and before 'Nu Metal' and whether it's liked or not, I applauded them as I do now for creating a sound not for a gimmick or commercial appeal but because they loved Hip Hop and Turntabilism.

Naked City were obviously not a Metal band per se that decided to throw in free Jazz but I feel their inclusion is merited because again; they are all extremely proficient musicians and their love of many genres is melded together so well that they were embraced by Metal bands and fans alike and they certainly introduced a lot of new music for fans to delve into.

Now do the decent thing and place your votes! (By the way I'm saying that)

Mordred In This Life 1991

Versus

Naked City Naked City 1989

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 02-18-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: order change
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote