Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Default Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico

Well, I haven't posted a 'versus' thread in a while. So, I figured I would proceed with making another one. This time the contenders are that of two landmark recordings of early experimental rock. One being the nihilistic, minimalist The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) and the other being Captain Beefheart's intricate and Dada-esque Trout Mask Replica (1969). I realize they are on completely different ends of the experimental rock spectrum, but try to make an attempt at choosing one and please explain why. Also, feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and/or interpretation of your chosen album (or both if you wish). Keep in mind that there is not an "objectively superior" choice between the two, and the thought of that is absolutely ridiculous. This is merely based on personal preference... nothing more.

Anyways, in my honest opinion, they are both masterpieces in the realm of contemporary music and should be treated with a certain level of respect (for both their influence on music as well as their innovation). I feel that this might stimulate an engaging discussion or two... So help prove me right.

...vs...

TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote