Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

I was guilty of voting without writing anything. I was tired and couldn't be bothered, but now I will!
Both are undoubtedly fantastic albums, and both deserve masses of respect for their influence and innovation. The album I enjoy more though is The Velvet Underground and Nico. In terms of influence, it gave more to punk and such, my preferred genres and I respect i for that. In terms of sound I enjoy it more too, Reed's and Nico's vocals are both fantastic and I would rank both amongst the most distinctive voices in music. The guitar, the bass, the wild drumming. I just love it. When I was younger it was the most mysterious album on my dad's shelf, it had a sort of special quality about it and I think it still does today. The band have a mystic surrounding them, Andy Warhol's involvement adds to that. When I did actually get around to listening to it, I was very moved. It's just an amazing, unique album(if you discount all the copycats).
James is offline   Reply With Quote