Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Evolution.
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Metal Connoisseur
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatesphanboi View Post
What about Alice in Chains? In fact the whole grunge episode was basically a big lead up to the narrator coming to the conclusion that Alice in Chains was easily the most metal of the grunge bands.

Shock rock helped to bring more fans to metal. People heard about the crazy theatrics of Alice Cooper and that helped to spread the word! Same with Marilyn Manson a few years later.

Hair Metal is an important episode because for alot of folks when they think of metal... they think of Hair Metal. Also Hair Metal brought in alot of ballads and stuff to Metal (although one could argue KISS had started that trend with 'Beth') and that in turn brought in alot of chicks.

When it comes to Black, Death, etc... Well Metal Evolution is a tv series so that shall probably be on season two!
Alice in Chains was by far the most "metal" of the grunge bands, but that doesn't mean that grunge and metal are connected in any way. If I remember correctly, in the interviews, the people from Tad and Soundgarden didn't associate themselves with metal at all.

What you said about shock rock and hair metal is all true but to reiterate what Unknown Soldier said, we all know about that stuff. The only people who are going to watch Metal Evolution on VH1 Classic are metalheads--and most of them already know about Alice Cooper and the LA hair bands. I was just expressing my frustration that Dunn didn't decide to cover some more extreme or obscure ground is all.

Season two all depends if they had high enough ratings to warrant the funding for future episodes...which idk if they got or not.
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote