Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #1858 (permalink)
The Big Dog

I was paired with Bob and we mutually decided we would link one another to albums out with our usual genre preferences.
Hence, I was sent the album Neurosis - A Sun That Never Starts

I have not listened to much post metal, and if this album is an indication of the genre, I don't see myself listening to much more in the foreseeable future.

The band is obviously comprised of talented musicians as there are great elements of progression on this record, but this is contrasted with the confusing use of erratic, random notes and chords which only detract from the sound.

As do the vocals which feel completely out of place throughout the album, the singers voice never seems to be in synchronisation with any of the instrumental parts.
His rough generic metal voice has no purpose on this record other than to add to the unfathomable mess.

I somewhat recall him repeating the phrase 'Its time' on an ending track and it may have been wishful thinking to perhaps interpret this is an indication it was time for the album to end.

I really did try and like this album. But, any more than the two play through's I endured would surely serve only as a mild sedative.
There was an attempt to create an atmospheric, intense record here. However the only atmosphere it served was to recreate that of a waiting room, as I found myself exhaling and rolling my eyes waiting on something to happen, ultimately letting time slowly pass.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that this album is chronically boring. There are flashes of brilliance here and there, when you think things may be about to pick up but in the end there is no climax, it just sort of goes on at the same distinctly average rate.

On a positive note, there are some truly great moments of musicianship, mainly coming from the lead guitar and drumming. However, when they come together, they don't compliment each other and almost seem to be jostling for position.

The album highlight is the 13 minute long 'Falling Unknown' which showcases what this band is capable of when it takes time to build upon its waiting room atmosphere and try to actually go somewhere with the music. This track also happens to more or less neglect the vocalist. A decision that should have been implemented throughout the albums entirety.

Perhaps its just me, and Neurosis's record is a great showcase of what is a truly gripping genre. If that is the case, I'd rather remain ignorant and happy listening to other pieces of music which aren't the equivalent of hearing Eeyore of Winnie The Pooh reading the phone book.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote