Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Weekly Song-Off
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #165 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Ok, I think I'm just going to go with my gut on this one.

My deadlock was between Unrelenting and Janszoon. Both songs strongly fit the theme in the context I imagined, and both conjured images from my past as a child, but in different points in time. Each could have been a soundtrack to it in some way or another.
Janszoon's track is well-produced, structurally and melodically sound, and the kind of song I'd want to listen to regularly. It feels like a soundtrack to my adolescent years in general.

Unrelenting's, on the other hand, is more than a song. Or, perhaps, it's not really a song. To me, it's a particular feeling at a particular time. Especially the intro. The way it starts is perfect, and where it goes feels familiar.
The intro reminds me of my intentions as a young child, going outside to play in the dirt with matchbox cars, GI-Joes, fortresses and good intentions. Eventually I find myself exploring that world I create, sitting in the dirt, so focused on the happenings below me.

Janszoon's song makes more sense at a time in my life where I didn't have that kind of wonder. I loved what I was experiencing, but less of the magic was there. Things were more structured, refined, experienced... Sort of an expectation.
That's why I'm choosing Unrelenting's song this round.
I feel more of a connection with it. I know that Janszoon's song is technically superior, but for once in my structured, refined, experienced life... I'm going to go solely with what I instinctively feel.
And that's my vote for Unrelenting.

Janszoon-2
Rubato-0
Frownland-0
Unrelenting-1
RezZ- 0