Music Banter - View Single Post - Modernism - is demonstration the end of expressionism?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rubato
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
what I don't understand is that you find that those who compose in the realm of the avant-garde are more concerned with that than artistic expression (you mentioned earlier that it, i.e. unconventional techniques in composition, "crippled the expressive nature of music").
Quote:
There are certainly those who somewhat possess this mentality of approaching composition, such as Luigi Russolo and Iannis Xenakis, but what about those like Edgard Varese or Throbbing Gristle? You surely can't say they are more concerned with innovation than that of artistic expression?

Just because one adheres to a more unconventional way of writing or playing music doesn't mean they are more focused on being original or innovative...
I wasn't trying to generalise Avant-garde as being devoid of expression nor was my argument against avant-garde, I was speaking specifically about those who get caught up too much in trying to bring something new to the table.

Quote:
Then why bring up your view on the goal of art? After all, art can primarily be defined by the goal it is trying to accomplish. I mean, you sort of dismissed abstract art with your previous comment by stating "the point of art is to minimize subjectivity so you can get your point across." Abstract art is known for being ambiguous and subjective as far as personal interpretation goes (as is a lot of art in general).
Seeing as how the subject deals with my view on music I thought it was relevant, If your piece is supposed to represent something surely it would be better to use one or more aspects in your work that would point to it rather than just randomly mix things together that have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
On another note, I have a question about the following statement you made:

What do you mean the part in bold, and why have you come to this conclusion?
The more distant relationships can't be said to be fully understood yet as their use is relatively new, it's only through repeated exposure to them that they will begin to be incorporated into a clearer tonal structure.
Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote