Music Banter - View Single Post - Modernism - is demonstration the end of expressionism?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
Over the past century music has been going through many changes, our traditional systems are being thrown out as people are opting for more anti-conventional techniques. While this has brought us much innovation it seems to have crippled the expressive nature of music as composers are now attempting to be innovative for the sake of being innovative; the goal of composition seems to have become a need for someone to make a name for them-selves rather than simply to express.
I agree 100%; there is a popular notion that novelty or difference has an intrinsic value.

As starrynight stated in his first post in this thread, There will always be different kinds of music for different people...While we are around though there will continue to be good music and art produced. . The problem is when musical taste becomes a sort of social signifier; of class, education, & political beliefs (etc.), as then some people will opt to like music (or at least claim to like certain music) to fit into their desired social scene.

I know some praise this type of self-sorting, but it strikes me as horrible; dystopian, even.