Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
Nor is a sheet of paper and a pen a musical instrument but composers have been using them for years to compose music, music is composed in your head, not on your instrument. Performance is very much a part of musicianship but not a requirement of a musician.
I actually deleted a comment about composers in my original reply. I don't consider someone who solely composes without an ability to perform to be a musician.

Though... most composers sit at a PIANO when they write, and I'm pretty sure pianos have always been considered instruments.

Also 'performance is part of musicianship but not required of a musician'? WHAT?!?!?!?! While I agree performance -for commercial gain- is not a requirement of being a musician you'd better believe the ability to perform is a fundamental part of being a musician. If you can't perform your music without needing to hit a button on a machine to make it play - YOU CAN'T PERFORM MUSIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote