Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rubato
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
I actually deleted a comment about composers in my original reply. I don't consider someone who solely composes without an ability to perform to be a musician.

Though... most composers sit at a PIANO when they write, and I'm pretty sure pianos have always been considered instruments.

Also 'performance is part of musicianship but not required of a musician'? WHAT?!?!?!?! While I agree performance -for commercial gain- is not a requirement of being a musician you'd better believe the ability to perform is a fundamental part of being a musician. If you can't perform your music without needing to hit a button on a machine to make it play - YOU CAN'T PERFORM MUSIC!
Some composers find that when using an instrument to write music your muscle memory tends to stunt your creativity, some feel an instrument is needed for more technical passages that can be hard to imagine. My point is an instrument shouldn't be needed to compose.

The ability to perform is a fundamental part of being a performer, Musician is a collective term for performers, composers and directors, certainly it would be very rare that a composer or a director hasn't picked up an instrument, or a performer hasn't attempted to write their own tune at some point, after all I'd assume they have enough interest in music to pursue something in those areas, but they are all still very separate parts of the music trade.
Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote