Music Banter - View Single Post - "What do you listen to?"
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #57 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicr0n View Post
I have tons of music that I'm not SUPER into in my collection, though I would say that I have a pretty...objective approach to listening to music. I can find redeeming qualities in ALMOST anything I listen to, because there's always something sonically pleasing. That's not to say I don't think bands suck, there are plenty of artists (some of which I enjoy thoroughly) which I will readily admit are horrible.

But all of that aside, my collection stopped being about personal taste ages ago. It's now more of a...music preservation project. So much music slips through the cracks over the years, and, as decades pass, will be lost forever.

I download as much as I can, organize it all meticulously, and add it to my ~musical time capsule~. I do run my library on shuffle 90% of the time though, so I end up hearing a LOT of what I have. I actually did some rough math the other day and figured out that I've listened to approximately 70% of the artists on my computer, which is no small feat when you consider I have somewhere in the realm of 10,000 unique artists on my hard drive.

I literally am kept awake at night sometimes thinking about all the music I'll never be able to get to, that will forever be lost, ten or twenty years from now.

/walloftext.jpg
This is something we have in common, only instead of a musical preservation project of sorts, my massive collection is there purely so I'll have options. If I'm in the mood for music but I can't quite put my finger on what, I'll listen around until I find something and usually end up discovering a great artist.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote