Music Banter - View Single Post - Black Star
Thread: Black Star
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I used to love that album (Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star) and it really helped renew my love of real hip-hop in the late 90s (i.e. not instrumental turntablism stuff). I wrote a paper about the album in college. I haven't listened to it in years though.

That new song N*****s in Poorest sounds really interesting. What are those other songs from? Mos Def has been pretty hit-or-miss over the years. I really like the innovation on that one song but, I gotta admit, the Islam thing kinda bugs me (Allah is in control).

He's had those religious beliefs for a while though. The way i figure, anything is better then christianity on the beat.

All of those songs are supposed material for the next album, which is being produced predominately by madlib (though it looks like his lil bro oh no is getting a piece of the action).

I've always had much appreciation for mos def. People slammed tru magic back in the day for sluggishly rapping over other beats, but i find that to be an "industry standard"(as well as smooth-transitioning mixtapes ) today.

He's always been able to sound current. I found the ecstatic to be underrated, mos was doing a lot of his own singing vocals, something that mainstream poppers like drake were considered original for. The songs blended seamlessly, and featured a lot of the same arabic sounding samples that were fun on future adventures of lord quas and oh no matireal.

Talib on the other hand is very, very boring. He was so on the original blackstar, he is on solo matireal and it sounds like nothing is changing for this anticipated release. The guy sounds like he's reading straight out a black history text book and has no swag.

Last edited by Sparky; 02-23-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote