Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evening Call by Greg Brown
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Thanks, Salami -and fazstp- I`m listening to the album now and am quite impressed with the two tracks I`ve heard so far. Thanks also for posting the lyrics, as sometimes it`s not easy to catch what he`s singing. Have you found that ?
Yes, Brown certainly likes to mumble a bit when he sings, and I often find he trails off a bit towards the end of certain words and phrases.
For instance, the very first line of that last song "I fell in love like a drunk in a pond", was for me completely unintelligible.
I also think that his style of vibrato obscures the words a lot, which certainly makes it hard to follow.
Personally, I think it serves an interesting purpose, in this case emphasizing the metaphor "like a drunk in a pond" - sounds so much more poignant when he's making an effort to sound a bit drunk - and for me it really brings out the sense of depression.

Anyway, this is wild speculation, but for me it makes the album sound more interesting, as he seems to be trying to make his voice fit the mood very well.

Good work for running this poll - hopefully people are still listening to the album before making their judgment!
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote