Music Banter - View Single Post - The Jesus And Mary Chain
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
They definitely had a formula after Darklands.
Really, they always had a formula: They used some variation of a simple and obvious 3-chord progression (I, IV, V) in the circle of fifths. On every song. The only thing they changed among albums was the level of guitar distortion and the drums.

It's not their best album but Automatic owns a large part of my heart and always will. This is for personal reasons such as: I was 14 years old when it was new on the shelves and I shoplifted my copy from a record store at the mall. This was when CDs came in longboxes.

I had never heard the band before but I loved their name and the album cover and, well, I was gonna steal something that day no matter what. Then I listened to it and loved it immediately. I probably listened to it 50 times the first month I had it. I lost the longbox but I still have the same CD. This was one of my life-changing albums and it led me down a path of good music that sounds like this.

I'm not going to make a best to worst list of their albums but they're one of my favorite bands that ever existed.