Music Banter - View Single Post - Black Star
Thread: Black Star
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
He's had those religious beliefs for a while though. The way i figure, anything is better then christianity on the beat.

All of those songs are supposed material for the next album, which is being produced predominately by madlib (though it looks like his lil bro oh no is getting a piece of the action).

I've always had much appreciation for mos def. People slammed tru magic back in the day for sluggishly rapping over other beats, but i find that to be an "industry standard"(as well as smooth-transitioning mixtapes ) today.

He's always been able to sound current. I found the ecstatic to be underrated, mos was doing a lot of his own singing vocals, something that mainstream poppers like drake were considered original for. The songs blended seamlessly, and featured a lot of the same arabic sounding samples that were fun on future adventures of lord quas and oh no matireal.

Talib on the other hand is very, very boring. He was so on the original blackstar, he is on solo matireal and it sounds like nothing is changing for this anticipated release. The guy sounds like he's reading straight out a black history text book and has no swag.
I don't care about anybody's religious beliefs but I was really impressed with that N****s In Poorest song and was disappointed to hear it end with that dumbass line.

As for Talib Kweli, he wasn't really any less 'black history' driven than Mos Def was on the 1st Black Star album. The whole album is meant to be that way (look up Black Star if you don't know its historical significance). I think his parts on that album are excellent.

And I really like Kweli's Reflection Eternal album. He and Hi-Tek's production work really well together. I don't much care for other Kweli albums though. Also, I only really love Mos Def's Black on Both Sides album as far as his solo stuff.

And since I'm feeling lazy I hope somebody will do my research for me and tell me if that N*****s In Poorest is from the upcoming album? Is it Madlib? What are those other songs Phantom Limb posted from? None of them are nearly as interesting.