Music Banter - View Single Post - skyrim
Thread: skyrim
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #323 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Ay does anybody actually read the books in this game? If so, is it worth delving into?

Also the game's ending was pretty underwhelming, in an oblivion type way. How come i don't get any sweet armor or parade after completing the main quest? i just killed a ****ing immortal dragon that eats worlds and nobody gives a ****. The first king in cyorodiil history became king for killing a dragon ive killed like 200 of these mutha****ers and nobody, seriously, nobody could give a damn.
Yes <3

I've always loved the lore in the elder scrolls games, they give the whole world way more depth, plus some of the stories are pretty good. A lot of the stories have been around since at least Morrowind (I have daggerfall and arena but I haven't got around to the arduous process of getting them up and running), but there are a fair few new ones in Skyrim for those who were disappointed with the sheer amount of repetition in Oblivion :P

Basically, if you like short stories, a lot of the books are worth reading. You can usually tell from the first page or two whether it's going to be a story or a historical account of the invasion of the akaviri or something (which i don't tend to read). In Morrowind there was a fantastic book which listed all the legendary artifacts in the world, which was very handy when I went on a dungeon trawl to find them all :P

I presume you know at least to open every book you come across that you haven't "read" before? Some books are skill books, that give you a level in a skill related to the story.

Regarding the ending, I haven't completed it yet (I completed the main quest in Oblivion last year. I got it when it came out in 2007, and I've spent at least a few weeks playing it every year), but I prefer that. The Elder Scrolls games have always been about as pure sandbox as possible. You're dumped in a world and hey, there's something big happening at the same time, but it's not the be-all and end-all of the experience. The main quest is simply one way in which the adventure can be structured, and for that simple reason, I wouldn't want it to have some big massive ending. Indeed, skyrim moreso than ever has been set up so that it keeps churning out random quests, so in truth, the game doesn't ever end.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote