Music Banter - View Single Post - It ain't necessarily so
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Metal Connoisseur
Franchise Player

As a practicing Catholic, I can tell you that the Church is pretty ambiguous on matters like the allegorical nature of the stories in the Old Testament. There are fundamental events, primarily the New Testament, that must be acknowledged, i.e. the death/resurrection of Christ, the immaculate conception, etc. But stories like the flooding of the earth, Sodom and Gomorrah, and elements of Adam and Eve are believed by many Catholics to be allegories while others choose to believe them as fact.

The Church also takes this stance on issues like the theory of evolution; it is up to you to choose what you believe in so long as you acknowledge God as the driving force behind whatever that is.

Tbh, I don't really have a taste for fundamental christianity, particularly evangelicalism. The idea that the earth is only a couple thousand years old is ludicrous, is as the hateful delivery of their message against homosexuality and contraception/abortion. Catholics may share the same moral views as they do, but (in my experiences) Catholics usually tend to be more reserved than their evangelical counterparts.
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote