Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #49 (permalink)
Yield Bitch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
He does? I'm not saying I disagree, but besides Surfing with the Alien, I haven't heard much Satriani. Could you give some examples of him playing different styles of guitar?
He does everything from Acoustic Fingerpicking (Tears in the Rain; Always With Me Always With You).

To talented tapping and legato (sections of Surfing with the Alien).

Ballads (Cryin'; Starry Night).

Odd Time Signatures (Satch Boogie).

Effect manipulations; e.g. using a volume pedal in a way nobody has been able to duplicate properly yet (Searching).

Retakes of classics (Sleep Walk).

Beautiful use of modes (Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness; Why; Belly Dancer).

And despite being a talented lead guitarist, he is also a talented rhythm guitarist who knows how to give room for vocal melodies (Strange; Phone Call; Big Bad Moon) ... even though he isn't a talented singer.

If you've only checked out "Surfing With The Alien", you really need to check out the albums "Flying in a Blue Dream" and "The Extremist" - "Strange Beautiful Music" is also a rather good album.

Try to disregard his two most recent albums (he tones down the technical complexity a whole lot).

The way I see it, the only thing Buckethead can do that Joe Satriani can't is raping the **** out of a killswitch.
Yield Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote