Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #58 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

There are many guitarists I personally prefer over Buckethead and technical ability has little to do with it. For example, I like the english jazz guitarist Phil Miller whose improvisational approach to his typically squeaky, one-string-at-a time melodies is like a tongue curiously poking the site of a lost tooth. Yet it just works really well in the music he plays.

Of the technically gifted, I more enjoy the music of guys like Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth or Jimmy Rosenberg. On a side note, I've never heard Buckethead master the style of any of these guitarists. But then again, they don't play like Buckethead and perhaps they're not as versatile, but .. if you want to listen to another style of guitar, you can switch artist. I still have to give cred to Buckethead for versatility, but in the end, it's about what sort of enjoyment I can get out of the music, not how much I can be impressed with versatility or technical skill.

Yield Bitch, I don't know much about modes and scales and stuff, but I'm just wondering out of curiosity. As someone who knows that stuff, is it easy to tell what Holdsworth is doing? I hear he's difficult and I can sort of hear it, but of course it's hard to know how difficult without the theoretical background. Here's an example song :

The guitar enters at about 1:30.