Music Banter - View Single Post - What's Production?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Hey thanks fer the response but I've got a few more questions about your response. Hope ya don't mind.

I'm familiar with what distortion, echo, and reverb sound like. Not sure I understand what I've read about panning. Is it when you hear things alternating from the left and right ears? When you're talking about volume, you mean where the instruments sit in the mix, right? IE how a vocal melody tends to come through more than bass or drums on say... pop songs? Compared to say... funk where there's more emphasis on beats and the bassline? (taking a shot in a dark there). teh feck is a pick up? I know about pickups on guitars and basses that send their signal to amps and yapyapyap- are you talking about something else?

I think I get what you're saying about different levels of production. The first example sounds kinda stripped and bare compared to the second. Couldn't say what specifically but the second example just sounds like there's more going on with whats being played.
You're actually pretty precisely on point with what he said.
Sounds like you understand what production is. But EQ also plays a part in how an instrument sits in a mix.
And yes, pickup is the guitar/bass variety.

You can generalize a professional music producer as a person who has an overall idea of how a song will flesh out and how it will sound, and instruct the musicians about how to get there. The producer may also do the editing of recorded music.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote