Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery & the Civil War
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #48 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
So, if there is a problem with flying a confederate flag, is there a problem with flying a flag with a black fist representing black power on it?
The traditional leftist answer is along the lines of:

Quote:
So that we’re all clear, let me define how I see racism. From my point of view, racism happens when members of society's most powerful ethnic group suppresses other ethnic groups — through economic power, for example, or by having the power of the majority group.

In the United States, the most powerful ethnic group is white people. I don’t think anyone seriously objects to this observation. As such, and I hate to inform my white friends of the fact, but only white people can truly be racist. Hispanics, African-Americans, Asian-Americans or other ethnic groups simply aren’t powerful enough to practice racism.
LINK

...you can actually see this argument being used to such as extremes that the Rwandan genocide is blamed on imperialism by Europeans, even though Rwanda had been independent for 32 years at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Is the black power movement for racial oppression of non-blacks?
Let's take them at face value and pretend the "moderates" (e.g, Bobby Seale in his Panther days) have a monopoly on the term and are the majority of people who use it, Tore; if a white guy were to claim he wants racial homogeneity in his community, wanted his race to be in control of his community's government, economy, and media.... would he be considered racist? That's what these "Black Power" folks advocate.