Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery & the Civil War
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #93 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Slavery was at the heart of the American Civil War, and is the main reason for the South's secession from the North.

^ Do you guys agree or disagree with this statement?
I'm going to ignore the whole racism / holocaust angle and just add my two cents on this original question.

I don't agree with the black and white nature of the options presented (tee hee). I wouldn't say slavery was at the heart of the Civil War but it was definitely one of the major aspects that hung on the outcome of the war.

My own views, the war happened due to one side feeling a serious threat to the way of life they'd become comfortable with (like the guy from Alabama who wouldn't burn his neighbors property). I'm not denying the slavery was one of the big factors, I just don't think it was the only factor.

Consider the power of the idea of 'freedom' within the US. It's always been a HUGE thing, the States started out because of that desire for 'freedom'. At that point in history these 'free' states that had just recently established their independence from the UK were now on the verge of being forced to accept new forms of political control and apply new social concepts that, within the light of 'freedom', they had the right to refuse.

I don't think it was right for those States to keep slaves (or to fight for the right to continue) so much as I think old people were effing dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote