Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #993 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained Ballad View Post
Sorry for replying a bit out of context, but I've got a bit of a beef with The Antlers. I've only ever listened to Hospice, and although I can remember at least two songs which are musically interesting, their lyrics are ****ing trite, especially on "Kettering". I mean, come on: "Because you'd been abused by the bone that refused you, and you hired me to make up for that"?

Am I being cruel here or are they genuinely that unimpressive? I know they aren't that hyped, but I've seen them thrown about a fair bit as quite a good band and I don't understand it.
Should I give another album a go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I thought I was the only one not that impressed by the Antlers. I gave Hospice a try and just couldn't get into it. I can't say it was the lyrics, though. Since you pointed that out, that will probably bug me too if I was to ever try to listen to Hospice again.

Ah, this is interesting - thanks for writing this! I personally found Hospice a real disappointment, but I really enjoyed last year's release "Burst Apart". What irritates me about them aside from some of the disconcerting lyrics is the painfully testing female voice yelling in a lot of their songs. I'd never ever ask people to go through Hospice again, but if you do feel like giving "Burst Apart" a go (which I do recommend), then I'd advise giving special attention to "Hounds", "Rolled Together" and the divine "Parenthesis".

I have the Daytrotter live session for this too which has those on, which is probably better than the real recording, in my opinion.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote