Music Banter - View Single Post - Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #219 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Huh. I won't deny it: I'm disappointed with you. I expected more than three two simple questions and a rude observation. I was hoping for some real fire and for my post to be sliced in pieces with the aid of many scholarly research papers. Even a bit of trolling would have been warmly appreciated, such telling me I ought to be at school or that I'm too young to understand. Well, here goes anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
External support for what, exactly?
I personally find a lot of the claims there to be be made out to be from US law, and that this article was stating it to be the case. For instance:
Quote:
In a sense, a married couple receives a subsidy. Why? Because a marriage between two unrelated heterosexuals is likely to result in a family with children, and propagation of society is a compelling state interest. For this reason, states have, in varying degrees, restricted from marriage couples unlikely to produce children.
Where in US law does it say that? Where in US law does it say that "propagating society" is the most important reason for marriage? I think that for issues so important, some kind of reference would be expected.
Quote:
If that's what you believe, why would you argue for an extension of marriage benefits to more people in society? Why not just get rid of them entirelly?
This here doesn't give credit to what I think is marriage as a whole. It's not about money, neither is it solely for increasing the population. It's a way of publically expressing your love for another person, and starting a family. The function of the family itself isn't money either, and I don't think that offspring should be necessary for a family to be recognised.
Quote:
The rest of your post doesn't deal with what I said, the quotes I pulled from the article, or the general point of my post.
This is more like it: completely ignoring what was my critique of the article you referenced.
Come on, I'm sure there was a lot in there that was directly relevant to what you quoted, just have a bash and tell me why I'm wrong about it.
Quote:
Correct; so, why should the rest of society subsidize their marriages?
You aren't purposely forgetting that financial commitments are being made by the gay people themselves? They pay like everyone else, society doesn't have a rule that marriages ought only to be permitted if children are planned.

OK, let me ask you a question: supposing that gay marriage were to be proposed WITHOUT any form of state subsidy whatsoever. Would you still object even if you as a taxpayer weren't in any way paying for it?