Music Banter - View Single Post - POP/PUNK is dead
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
I think you're a living example of what I like to call - The Weezer Effect.

Weezer isn't the first, the most guilty, nor the last band to end up in their situation, they just happened to the first I noticed, and by far the most blatant in my youth, so they get the name.

Ultimately what everyone needs to accept and recognize, is that mainstream pop music does not, and has never, actually cared about the listener. It's all about appealing to the commercial demographic that has the largest amount of disposable income while convincing them that their tastes (and not their money) is actually culturally relevant enough to shape the current reflection of society through mainstream media.
Uh, no artists particularly care about the listener. They make the music they enjoy and hope that others will appreciate it (unless forced by the label to record music that is expected to sell). If anything, pop artists are relatively more interested in crafting music that the public will like.

Pop/punk as a genre is rather lame. The artists tend to be goofing off, as opposed to doing the best they could do.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote