Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Wars!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #1044 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

First line-up as follows and this is what Lolpocolypse says about these two albums.

Sybreed
Utilizing the djent sound in 2004 before it was cool, Swiss band Sybreed began as a pretty straightforward industrial metal band with their first album Slave Design. Their third release, 2009's The Pulse of Awakening, is described as death wave (think Depeche Mode mixed with industrial/death/groove). I selected the band's 2007 sophomore effort, Antares for the war because of its more progressive leanings, and I think it is when the band really began developing their own original sound (the Fear Factory and Meshuggah worship was clear in the first album). Despite being industrial metal, this album is very melodic. It has a coldness about it but manages to retain emotion, mostly through well-integrated synths and clean vocals. I expect this album to get panned for the vocals (especially the few spurts of robot vocals) even though I see them as a strength. Admittedly, they do sound similar in style to those of later Anders Friden, but the singer gets the job done and IMO he does it very well. The grooves are good, the drumming is good, and the songs are catchy and technical. I think it is also worth pointing out that this band has a single guitarist. Fans of extreme metal may dismiss the album 40 seconds into the first (and weakest) song, but I encourage them to give the album a chance, especially if they don't mind melodic death metal.

Textures
Dutch band Textures is a little harder to classify. Incorporating elements of death metal, groove metal, and occasional djenting, Silhouettes is one of the more original albums I've heard in a while. Like Sybreed, this band utilizes a synthesizer, but not as heavily since they aren't industrial. I don't think I need to do any damage control in introducing this one other than point out the clean vocals. Once again, those who hate lots of melody may dismiss this rather quickly, but I encourage y'all to give it a fair listen.

Textures Silhouettes 2008

Versus

Sybreed Antares 2007

Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote