Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Essential Indie albums
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #116 (permalink)
wblack86
Groupie

I know this is an old thread, but I am new to this board and wanted to give me 2 cents.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Very cliche, I know this. But, if you know this record you know it's deserved of its iconic status.

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker - Ryan Adams might not be a big presence on the indie radar anymore, but this album was so great when it was released 12 years ago.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago - Beautiful, heartbreaking album. This is the most haunting album I've heard in a long time. So amazingly simple, yet so deep.

The National - Boxer - The National exploded onto the indie music scene in 2005 with Alligator, and then followed up with Boxer. Arguably one of the best albums of the past 15 years. 2010's High Violet is almost equally as great.

Arcade Fire - Funeral - Perhaps the defining album of the 2000s indie movement. This album alone has propelled Arcade Fire into one of the most revered indie rock bands of all time.

(I'm putting a sixth) Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle And Sebastian were in a league of their own during the mid-to-late 90s with IYFS, Tigermilk, and The Boy With The Arab Strap. With hints of The Smiths, and The Pixies this album was definitely a huge hit in the 90s indie crowd.

Close Calls - 2011's Bon Iver by Bon Iver, and Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes are now staples in the indie community.
wblack86 is offline   Reply With Quote