Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
It sounds as if Janszoon, like so many people, has been over-exposed to The Beatles, so that it`s difficult to hear anything that sounds fresh in any way. Certainly, most of the best albums have been sent his way already ( James getting in early with the one I would`ve selected, Revolver )
So, prompted by Burning Down`s mention of it, I`m sending Beatles For Sale, which is such a patchy album that it`s not played so often. Nonetheless, it has some great tracks, with Lennon exploring his sombre side for the first time, and it also shows the mid-career Beatles loosening their belts a little, playing for pleasure rather than trying to write yet another smash hit. if the Beatles journey is like some well travelled highway with lots of traffic, this album is like a little cul-de-sac that you go into by mistake, realise it`s quite nice, and then drive out of to join up with everyone else again.
Okay great, because the only copy of Beatles for Sale that I have is on vinyl, and it's like 45 years old so who knows how good it would sound if I managed to digitize it. I certainly agree that there are a lot of great songs on that particular album. Unfortunately, it tends to get overlooked when discussing the Beatles' entire discography.

I also love listening to their albums in order of release. You really get to hear how much they evolved and matured as musicians by doing so. And they sure matured a lot during the 7 years in which they released albums.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote