Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #75 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I wondered the same thing at first, but this is the way Jans wants to go about the whole thing. No problem there. It gets people involved and we can all comment on his reviews afterwards.

I think you still need Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles for Sale. I'm sending you Let It Be tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because this way I actually feel obligated to do the write-ups and the person who sent me the album has a stake in reading my little review. It also means the people making the recommendations will most likely put a little more thought into their choices. It's easy to just rattle off a couple album titles when someone asks for a recommendation, but if you have to actually make an effort to send it to the person you're probably going to consider what you send a bit more. I'm actually pretty surprised that you think this is so weird since this is far from being the first thread on MB to follow this type of format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Yeah, I would say that the "Send someone something they don't listen to" or "Weekly Music Trading Post" threads follow a similar format to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If I were doing such a thread, this format would give me greater motivation to follow through on my promise. I've taken probably 15 recommendations for hiphop albums before that people have merely listed, and I've maybe listened to two of those. The human element and the recommender's concern for my tastes makes me feel more enthusiasm for the topic at hand.
Right right! It wasn't meant to be taken offensively. I was merely curious and the answers provided have satiated my curiosity. I understand now. Personally, I would have done it the torrent and ask way, which probably would have gotten less interaction/response than your method, so I've learned something - because I never would have thought to make a thread this way. And as you mention that it's not uncommon here on the boards... well, I've never sent anyone any albums and no one has sent me any... err... Skaligojurah sent me an album once and Bob for an album club... but that was ages ago. I am missing out and need to get more involved in those types of threads. I never ventured into or seen Jackhammer's Give me an album and I will review it thread or Urban's Thread Of Reappraisal, and I've been meaning to, but haven't ever gotten involved with the trading post. Right right.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote