Music Banter - View Single Post - POP/PUNK is dead
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
Think of it as "caring about" vs "catering to" or "enticing despite one's best instincts." Pop music often appeals to base instincts. Pop artists don't seem to mind if they're helping to turn this into a more sex-obsessed world.
I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or just super pretentious. Honestly. Think about that for a second.

Now, do you really think the general public is so stupid and simple minded that they need to be raised by pop stars? That the average person looks at a pop star and thinks 'THAT is how I'm supposed to be!' as opposed to 'I would like to have that (perceived) level of fame and attention'?

Pop culture and mainstream society have the ultimate co-dependent relationship, they give each other what they want regardless of need, whether you as an individual agree to what the mass decides is kind of irrelevant outside your head.

Your argument basically mimics a popular misguided line about how fast food restaurants should operate. Here's a minor twist to your last statement:

Fast food restaurants don't seem to mind if they're helping to turn this into a more obese world.

Same logic, same indirect passing of the buck. It's not up to the fast food restaurant to ensure individuals maintain a healthy lifestyle. Same as it's not up to the pop star to make sure we all live in what, some kind of chaste boob-less world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote