Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evening Call by Greg Brown
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

This album has been slowly growing on me during a week of listening to it. When Salami said it reminded him of Time Out Of Mind, I thought I was in for a pretty bleak experience, but I actually found most of GB`s songs had a warmer feel than big bad Bob`s most depressing album. If anything, Evening Call reminds me more of Love And Theft; songs from a man resigned to growing old, but finding comfort and humour in the process too.
I agree with what you say about the singing, Salami, that his style suits the mood so well, even though it means almost losing a wonderful line like, "I fell in love like a drunk in a pond" ! In fact I quickly grew to enjoy his throaty crooning, as well as the leisurely, clopping rhythm of the tracks, and his lyrics in general, which sound as casual as a conversation, but often take a quirky, unexpected turn. Favourite tracks so far would be Bucket and Kokomo, I think, but every track seems to hold something of interest.

So, another gem from fazstp, another artist who is completely new to me and a singer whose albums I hope to investigate more, starting with the links(Thanks) that you posted. If I find another GB album as good as Evening Call, I`ll let you know.