Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #94 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'd like to state that any rumours going around the forum that I am going to start a similar thread on Wings discography are totally false.
Hey, I sent you Back To The Egg for a reason; I want a comprehensive review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Okay, first review...

... "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", on the other hand, I found kind of directionless, but even though I don't think it's particularly satisfying overall, I really like the last three minutes or so of the song. It almost sounds like some kind of proto doom metal to my ears, which was surprising but very cool.
I've always thought Abbey Road is easily their worst album. I like Octopus's Garden well enough (the "novelty" Ringo song outdoes the others' serious stuff for me) but I feel that the only truly good song on it is "I Want You..." maybe for the reason you stated. It almost seems like it doesn't belong on Abbey Road which is full of songs that I only like, maybe, the first 15 seconds of some of them. Of all the Beatles albums to have on vinyl, I only have two and this is one of them. I don't have a record player anymore but when I did I remember putting this album on it often thinking 'I should like this, I must be missing something' but then ALWAYS skipping to "I Want You.." and really loving it.

I'm excited for your Rubber Soul review. To me, it's essentially a way better version of Revolver.

Overall, I seriously doubt any one album of theirs will win you over but its fun to see your reactions.