Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #208 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Good lord ..

Wow, someone made a nice pattern with snakes. That has to be an illustration of DNA - although it's not actually made of snake, but what the heck. The story sounds good, right? Stuff like this depresses me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webpage
Notice in this image, on the top, the two entwined snakes and the ladder like ribbons between the serpents bodies.....does it remind you of anything?

Remember that these images are thousands of years old. Today we still use the image of the entwined serpent as a sign of medicine, this has carried over from ancient times. What does the emblem of entwined serpents, the symbol for medicine and healing to this very day, represent?
That's funny because when I think of medicine, I think of the Rod of Asclepius which features a single snake.

A quick look on Wikipedia yielded this :

Quote:
It is relatively common, especially in the United States, to find the caduceus, with its two snakes and wings, used as a symbol of medicine instead of the correct rod of Asclepius, with only a single snake. This usage is erroneous, popularised largely as a result of the adoption of the caduceus as its insignia by the US Army medical corps in 1902 at the insistence of a single officer (though there are conflicting claims as to whether this was Capt. Frederick P. Reynolds or Col. John R. van Hoff).
Which contradicts with the webpages idea that the idea that the two snakes (supposedly DNA) carried on from ancient times.

Talk about presenting vague speculation as truth :|