Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #3646 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
See, that's an attitude I don't understand. Sure, if you're going to see it from a purely professional point of view, it's probably not the most lucrative job in the world, and it won't necessarily make your career, but... if I were a football manager, and someone offered me the Ireland managing post, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's your country, and it's a proud thing to be able to say you did.

That said, if I felt strongly about the English football team, I wouldn't want the team managed by someone who didn't really want to do it, not for the money, but because they want to do their country proud. Pride, and desire to win for their country is what's been missing from England. It's a damn good team of players, and any manager with an ounce of ability to tap into that could do very well with the position.
But the England job is different to a lot of other countries! Most England managers are in a no win situation, the team always goes into tournaments with the team expected to go to the very latter stages, If things don't go like so, the manager is slated and usually ridiculed in one way or another and his image as a manager forever tarnished. Terry Venebles was the exception to that rule, but every England manager over the last 30 years has been like so. The press seldom take into consideration that the pool of players available to most England mangers is usually very average indeed. Does this sound like a great job to you
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote