Music Banter - View Single Post - Russian Music
Thread: Russian Music
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I like Arsenal which I guess could be called a jazz fusion band that incorporated a range of influences in their music.

I didn't find the track I wanted, but here's the opener from the debut album. Some of this is quite RIO-y, but it's in no way representative of their music as a whole.
That was wild. There were different parts in the piece that reminded me of a few bands from the 70s like one phrase in the piece was like Chicago and another phrase sounded like King Crimson and it's mixed together with a bunch of other stuff too. It was interesting. The one Russian band I really like is Trio Voronezh. I don't know how to categorized the type of music Trio Voronezh plays. Their stuff reminds me a little bit like the David Grisman Quintet. Grisman mixes Jazz, Bluegrass, and Folk and other music together in a type of music which he calls Dawg. There's a stronger folk sound in the Folk-Jazz fusion by playing on traditional folk instruments. TV seems to have the same approach (to music as DGQ) except where TV mixes folk with other types of music in a progressive way with a definite Russian flavor. Vladimir Volokhin on the domra (closely related to a balalaika), Valerie Petrukhin on the double-bass balalaika and Sergei Teleshev on the an (accordion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
one word - Auktyon:-
I thought the court jester was going to hit the other guy over the head with that instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
I don't know much but one or two modern bands:

Post-jazz, instrumental 8-piece group from St. Petersburg I believe.
One thing I've notice with Russian music is that the bass players can play exceptionally well.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote