Music Banter - View Single Post - Live at Massey Hall by Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
To be honest, this album is highly revered by Young fans and I like it too, but i just don't love it. I'd honestly rather listen to unplugged.
I`m not familiar with Unplugged, so I checked out the track list and a couple of songs, though I was a little disappointed. The album dips into material from right across Neil`s career, which makes it quite interesting, but it also settles for some reason on a few of his weaker songs, such as Long May You Run and Look Out For My Love. On the plus side, some songs are significantly reworked from their usual formats; Hurricane and Old Laughing Lady for example.

There are just two songs that turn up on both albums, Helpless and Needle and these illustrate what I particularly like about the Massey Hall album. Firstly there is Neil`s voice, pure and strong to bring out his trademark, poignant sound, and then there is the intimacy of the proceedings; the cheers when North Ontario is mentioned; the conversational intro to Needle, which was then a brand new song.

So I guess, I`m one of the fans revering Massey Hall; a collection of some of my favourite NY songs, faultlessly and simply presented by one man with just his guitar and piano, nowhere to hide. But then, bearing in mind what fazstp says, I`m only voting "Good", because let`s face it, forty years on, we`ve heard it all before thank you Neil !!