Music Banter - View Single Post - Goshdarn you, Britain
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #118 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Most anti-immigrant and racist attitudes today are actually based on personal experiences and encounters, along with the role that modern media plays, in fact media was probably the prime tool for boosting ethnic conflict throughout most of the 20th century and its littered with examples.
I would be tickled pink if you could substantiate the above claims, namely that (1) the role of the media & (2) how racist attitudes are formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
Of course there are going to be observable differences between different groups of people, but how much do statistics play a part with individuals? Statistics are good for an insurance company for example, they can make rough estimates based on peoples age sex ect. but this comes at a complete disregard for the individuals involved, statistically women may make safer drivers but being a woman doesn't you a safer driver. The moment you remove someones individuality and treat them as if they belong to some sort of hive mind then you've crossed into the realms of racism, sexism, ageism ect.
Statistics are also great for forming public policy, Rubato.

Now, in regards to the -isms; what's more problematic about this discriminatory behavior, that it's unfair to the outliers who perform better than group averages, or that you're discriminating against people for what they have no control over?

And, no, I'm not just asking to be a dick; I'm trying to suss out what discrimination means to people on this board.