Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #991 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Let's check out another song which has the same title but vastly different versions. When we hear “Born to run”, we immediately of course think of the Bruce Springsteen classic from the album of the same name, a song which has gone down in history as one of his signature tracks, and indeed a breakout hit for him back in 1975. However, there are other songs around which bear the same title.

First of course, here's the one you expect...
Born to run (Bruce Springsteen) from “Born to run”

It's the classic rebel song for an older generation, a two-fingers to the grey unchanging skyline, uncertain political times and the older people that always seem to want to keep the younger ones down. It's a celebration of love and life, while taking notice of the fact that this is a ride that can't last forever. It hurtles along on rocket-rail drums and guitar, and of course has that classic Bruce grunt and chant. Pure class.

Born to run (Emmylou Harris) from “Cimarron”

Not surprisingly, this is a very country song, but in ways it shares similarities with Bruce's classic, with the same rebel spirit, the same desire to break out of what's seen as a trap, with similar exuberance and the joy of being young. Admittedly, Emmylou ain't young singing it here, but then, music is timeless and ageless, yes?
Born to run (Lynyrd Skynyrd) from “The last rebel”

Pure southern rock from the boys who brought you “Free bird” and “Sweet home Alabama”, this version is a hard-hitting, powerful rock cruncher detailing how hard a life the singer has had, and how he has to keep on the move all the time. Not so much of the youth in this one; it's the lament of a middle-aged guy who's trying to take the world on his shoulders, but there's determination in there too, determination not to give up or to give in. Like most LS tracks, it breaks away into a real instrumental rocker halfway, though somewhat different to the likes of “Free bird”, it's mostly driven by piano. Sweet!
Born to run (Marillion) from “Radiation”

In a complete turnaround from all the above, Marillion use a slow, almost blues ballad styling for their song, telling the tale of ordinary people who know they will never leave the town they were born in, never rise to anything, never be anything. Mostly organ with some really nice guitar from Steve Rothery, it's played in a very downbeat style, so much so that at times you need to strain a little to hear what Hogarth is singing. Great song though, with a superb blues guitar solo from Rothery. Interestingly, I don't believe this song uses the words “born to run” in its lyric at all.
Born to run (K-os) from “Atlantis: hymns for disco”

I'll be the first to admit I don't listen to rap music, but to be fair this doesn't sound too bad. K-os, who I believe plies his trade in the world of rap, and his song, also called “Born to run”, which leads us on to
Born 2 run (7Lions) from [no album yet]

Okay, so the “to” is replaced by the number 2, but even so... Not bad this; starts off as rap and then seems to cut in with some hard rock. Sort of Lostprophets/Evanescence (yeah, what do I know?) --- looks like these guys could have a bright future ahead of them!

So that's a pretty good example of how a song title can cross genres. We have classic rock, southern rock, country and rap, with a few others thrown in for good measure. And you thought there was only one “Born to run”! Well, there is, but there are other songs out there with the same title...