Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #11301 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It IS a comedy though, not the smack-you-over-the-head-with-it vein, more in the vein of a Coen Brothers or Jim Jarmusch movie (in fact, Jarmusch's frequent collaborator Robby Müller was the cinematographer for Repo Man). The "get sushi and not pay" line is a joke, you get that right? The movie is making fun of a character who is an idiot. It's funny because it's ridiculous, as is Duke's dying "society made me do it" monologue and a huge number of other absurd moments in the film. This whole movie is massive lampooning of everything from punk rock to 80s pop culture to the Weekly World News. Yet, on top of that, it's also this gorgeously constructed, oddly affecting piece of work. And it's incredibly re-watchable because of the amount of detail packed into it (the weird choice of cameos, the odd little details jammed into every frame). Just a suggestion, because I know from experience it's a grower: you really may want to consider watching it again some time.
I certainly will considering you have good taste in a lot of things. It usually takes a couple viewings on some of the "grower" films for it to click with me. I, along with a lot of other people, HATED Blade Runner when I first saw it. I don't anymore. Movies are funny that way.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote