Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #999 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Yes:Hey, I was unable to re-edit my Yes entry as I realized afterwards that it was open to mis-interpretation. What its should say, is that I'm a HUGE Yes fan and they are one of the best bands if not the best of the classic prog era. I'm therefore saying that after Big Generator they put out a whole load of very poor albums with the exception of Magnification.
Ah, yes, that does change the whole idea, doesn't it? Just as TheNiceGuy has just posted a review of an ELP album, and I don't like ELP so wouldn't even bother commenting on it --- except maybe in a peripheral sense, like if I liked the words he used or his prose or whatver --- as my opinion would carry no weight. Sort of like a Lady GaGa fanoid going into a Motorhead thread and saying this music is crap. Means nothing.

But since you now advise you DO like Yes, and I actually am not a huge fan, it becomes odder then that you don't like ABWH, though you say you hate "Union", and that was essentially ABWH II, so that makes sense. I suppose I'd need to hear more "classic" Yes to appreciate why you don't like ABWH, but I just really love nearly everything about it. To each his own, as they say..
Quote:
Journey:I've still not heard the Pineda albums as they are still a way down on my big listening list, but I have seen Jouney a couple of times in concert and the last time was with Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, he did a decent job and gave the songs some muscle, but it was obvious that he couldn't sing the softer numbers, so the job was passed over to Deen Castronovo on drums.
Not much I can add to what I've already said about Journey really. Wasn't blown away by the new album, but I did like "Generations" and "Trial by fire". "Escape" of course is classic and "Frontiers" is great too, though I think it has a few weak tracks ("Back talk", "Rubicon")
Quote:
Night Ranger: Hell I love Dawn Patrol and its one of the essential AOR releases and your review was spot on, the whole album is a guitar enthusiasts delight and in concert the band really rocked out on those songs, the choice track on the album for me has to be "Eddie's Comin Out"
I agree "Eddie" is a great track, but the first track I ever heard from NR was "Don't tell me you love me". It blew me away then, and it still does now. My standout on the album, no question.
Quote:
Trollheart I can't wait to see your NWOBHM section because I don't know if I pointed out to you before, but I have both a NWOBHM and Power Metal Thread on the forum, they are not detailed album reviews but just lighter reviews of bands and albums with general chit-chat, lots of interesting stuff on both threads.
The way I'm looking at the NWOBHM is to take some of the bigger, major bands who made it, who created their name and fanbase through the movement, and some smaller ones who didn't make it, or folded soon after. I've deliberately left out my all-time favourite band, Maiden, as I think they're done to death, they're in a totally different league and anyway I did an extensive profile of them for my "Taking Centre Stage" slot.

If you want to skip on to the section --- I don't know if you want to go page by page, but this is now page 100, as you can see, so you could be a while --- it starts on page 32, with Praying Mantis, Angel Witch and Trespass featured, then picks up with part 2 on page 61 with Raven, Cloven Hoof and Venom. Part 3 will follow soon, maybe by April, or hopefully May at the latest. It's due to feature Tank, Wolf and the mighty Saxon.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the section, considering you're an NWOBHM aficionado. It's called "Witches, bitches, maidens and monsters --- the bands of the NWOBHM".
Quote:
AOR is really my thing, now when I say AOR I'm referring to predominantly US soft rock acts of the 1970s and 1980s and I'm into the more harder rocking but very melodic style of bands like Journey, Survivor, Boston, REO Speedwagon and especially Toto etc. Also I'm pretty much obsessed with pomp/prog acts like Styx and Kansas etc. What I'm not into are the poppier artists of the era like FM and Eric Martin etc, but I do like Rick Springfield a lot.
Yes I like AOR too, particularly Asia, Boston, Journey, Magnum, Fleetwood Mac etc, but my main love is prog rock like Marillion, Genesis, Pendragon, Twelfth Night, Rush, Arena, Mostly Autumn, Shadow Gallery, Jadis and so on.