Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #72 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post

Well, if you've read what I've typed above, I hope that you can at least entertain the slightest possibility that music creation software is, logically, an instrument in the intuitive sense of the word. Maybe even in a denotative sense. And if you have any idea of the actual skill that's involved with music creation on a computer, then you definitely know it can't be compared to arbitrarily taking a photo, and that some merit should be given to the musicianship of a person with the ability to create what people consider good music.

I do think it is in many cases very dumbed down instrument. Their is no standard for the instrument which makes it a hard thing to categorize. A flute, drumset, harp, etc all are nearly universal from instrument to instrument so when you hear something being played you know that person did all the heavy lifting. When software is being used you dont know anything about what kind of help the dj had.

I mean you and I could make the same piece of music. I could have used software that did all the things necessary to create it automatically and taken samples and such from everywhere and just edited them. You on the other hand did everything yourself. Seems tough to judge who has talent and who doesnt.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote